Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Infidelity as a Form of Self-Loathing [cheapestps3controller269.blogspot.com]

Infidelity as a Form of Self-Loathing [cheapestps3controller269.blogspot.com]

That feeling ate away at John, a pseudonymous reader:

There were certainly parts of Olga Khazan’s account of Laura’s relationship that resonated with me, mostly the complexity of something like emotional abuse. I think in some ways I conceive of myself as both a recovering emotional abuser and victim—an idea that Khazan’s article begins to approach near the end, when it discusses how Lauren would “push back” against her ex. Not that I think she was an abuser herself, but certainly in her ex’s memory, there were plenty of times where Lauren perhaps behaved in a manner that could be described as abuse, though not to the same magnitude.

After my ex and I split, I would describe some experiences with her to other people (mostly women, actually) who identified them as forms of emotional abuse against me. The constant fight-picking, threats to leave the relationship over minor disagreements about things like my opinion of news articles, belittling of my feelings, and the dredging-up of old arguments got to the point where I fantasized about cheating on her and keeping it to myself. Not because I actually wanted satisfaction elsewhere, but because I knew the pent-up guilt would make me feel like I deserved to be treated how she treated me.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

http://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2016/11/infidelity-as-a-form-of-self-loathing/506468/?utm_source=feed Infidelity as a Form of Self-Loathing

[cheapestps3controller269.blogspot.com] Infidelity as a Form of Self-Loathing

No comments:

Post a Comment